Parador de Santiago de Compostela - 15th century Pilgrim's Hospice (5*)
Considered to be the oldest hotel in the world, the Parador Santiago de Compostela was built in 1499 by order of King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella. Once a royal hospital, which provided lodging and shelter for many pilgrims who arrived in the city following the ‘Camino de Santiago’ the impressive building along with the Romanesque cathedral beside it and the Plaza de Obradoiro have now been named a UNESCO Heritage site and are proclaimed as historic jewels by international and national travellers alike.
The Parador has kept its tradition alive to this day by giving those pilgrims staying at the hotel free meals and stamps for their passport.
The Plaza de Obradoiro is recognised as the finishing point of the ‘Camino de Santiago’ across Northern Spain and up through Portugal.
The Parador itself combines Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque elements which can be seen throughout the luxurious public areas, bedrooms and suites. The original hospital was built between 1499 and 1519 whilst the balconade and Baroque windows were added at the end of the 17th century.
The Parador has extensive conference facilities and, as may be expected, many high-level political and cultural events take place here.