The Pousada Dom. Alfonso II is named after King Afonso II who seized the town for the Portuguese crown in 1217 after his father’s (D. Afonso Henriques, first King of Portugal) failure to do so in 1158. No longer serving as a military base, the castle was used by royalty for many years, and was the site of King Manuel I of Portugal’s marriage to the Spanish King’s daughter, Infanta Dona Maria in 1500. In the 16th century it was converted into the Carmelita de Aracoeli convent, whose foundations form the key structures of the property, such as the cloisters surrounding the courtyard.
Since opening as a hotel and joining the Pousada network in 1998, the Pousada de Alcácer do Sal has been popular with tourists who are interested in the historical importance of the castle and surrounding areas, whilst relaxing in a luxury setting. Guests can marvel at the way in which the 16th century architecture blends in with the remaining castellated walls and towers of the original Arab structure. Touches like the convent cloisters, ancient stonework, oriental rugs, and Baroque coats of arms never fail to remind guests of the history surrounding the property. The Pousada even has a museum area dedicated to exhibiting some of the site’s original foundations, and the pre-historic discoveries made in subsequent years.
Situated high up and overlooking the broad green valley of the River Sado, the Pousada Dom Alfonso II benefits from incredible panoramic views. The Pousada’s 35 bedrooms are comfortably furnished with large windows, many of which look over the estuary. Some have even retained the original convent windows, further alluding to their history.
The public areas are stylishly decorated, with contemporary furniture creating a fascinating contrast against the classical architecture, yet another feature that adds to the uniqueness of this Pousada.
The addition of the large outdoor pool and sunbathing area makes this Pousada the perfect spot to relax and absorb the incredible scenery.
The Pousada de Alcácer do Sal’s restaurant looks out onto the old fortified walls of the original Moorish citadel. Guests can enjoy the surroundings whilst tasting some of the area’s finest dishes such as Fried Cuttlefish, Codfish Cakes, Roasted Leg of Lamb, and Alcácer do Sal Convent Cake. The large terrace provides a welcoming space for guests to relax in the afternoon with a coffee and sample the region’s famous Pine Nut Tart.